Question

Dishonest marketing about speed - anyone else have this problem?

I do not live far from the interchange, but the speed that was advertised as 100mpbs is 7mpbs. The reason why - validated with both my technician and their customer service team - is not distance or a technical problem. It's that they don't want to invest in the physical capacity to connect more users in my area into their higher speed cables. That's right - I could have 96mpbs, but Proximus have chosen not to deliver on their marketing promise to save a penny and screw a customer.

Anyone else have this problem?

2 commentaires

Niveau d'utilisateur 3
Badge +1
As there is no real competition in Belgium between copper-based dsl and/or tv cable based one (like VOO), it is more profitable for such a company to capture "easy" consumers around cities for instance where the network is richer than in a countryside area (I do not know where you live).

The speeds the providers announce is always the maximum theoretical speeds you can have; Belgian law states that the minimum bandwidth is 1 mbps.... so.... you know....

Your sole solution is to switch to VOO that can offer higher speed in your area.
1. Ask your neighbors about the speed, which provider they use, ... Do not trust commercials or sales guys.
2. Remember that cabled internet in a street follow the rule of water flow: the most you have neighbors connected to the same pipe, the less **everyone** can pump water. On the contrary to copper-based lines.

Guess you know this site (http://bgcmap.narod.ru/) where you can see which real interchange street box you rely on.
Niveau d'utilisateur 5
Badge +1
Anyone else have this problem?Yes, was 250.000 households before 2017, ALL in Wallonia (0% in Flanders). Some CM here told me they upgraded 40.000 lines from Adsl to Vdsl in 2017. So it should take 5 more years at the same average speed to migrate all lines.

So, depends on your luck and/or your ability to get some "political" support to be in the firsts waves.
Welcome to Belgium !

Commenter