Skip to main content
My husband and I are U.S.A. citizens who lived in Brussels during 1994-1998. We have Belgian SIM cards/numbers/telephones which we ONLY use in Europe. We must identify ourselves. Today is the last day to do so! I received the notice only 2 weeks ago and have been unsuccessful at doing this so now I am faced with losing our SIMS, our phone numbers and over 100 euros which we have on these Pay N Go cards!

As we no longer live in Europe, we can't send an SMS from these two phones (they are 2 G and work in Europe only, they are not Smart Phones), We do not have Electronic Identity Cards. I tried to phone Proximus to speak to a real person, but got only electronic menus.

We could visit a Proximus location the next time we are in Belgium, but that will not be prior to August.

I am trying this forum as a last resort.

We have American Passports, Belgian drivers licenses with photo, New Jersey drivers license with photo.

I am out of ideas for a solution. I understand why the Government is requiring this as a way of eliminating or guarding against "burner phones" for illegal purposes.

I would call if I knew what phone number would connect me to a person. I could scan and email our passports, but that is not very secure. I could send I.D. via Fed Ex or Express Mail, but I am out of ideas and out of time! Help!

Barbara S McKee
Dear Barbara,

I actually don't know what the solution could be.

I will check and come back here as soon as possible with hopefully a solution.
By the way, do you have a bancontact card? Or do you eventually know someone in BE with a bacontact card that could top off 1€ for you onthe Pay&Go card?

From what I read here : http://www.proximus.be/en/id_cr_prepidentif/personal/products/orphans/identification-of-your-prepaid-card.html adding 1€ on your card (via Bancontact) will triggger the identification.

Let me know.

Commenter