Question

Incorrect Billing and Miscommunication about Termination of contract

Hello,

Just this weekend, out of the blue,  my ex-flatmates in Germany received a letter from Proximus about the ‘Payment Recovery’. And I am absolutely GOBSMACKED! 

Let me share the background of this:

During my 7-month ERASMUS+ stay in Brussels, between January to August / September (2020), I was your customer. But during that time, in the last month of my stay, I changed my address and temporarily lived at my friend's place. Afterwards, I moved to Germany (for job search). As soon as I arrived in Germany, in September/October, I purchased a new (local) sim card and took my Belgian sim out without realizing that I have a monthly (postpaid) contract with you - but now after receiving this letter I have realized that it was NOT a prepaid connection. But, what is really shocking to me is that before replacing the proximus sim card in Germany, I think it was September,  I received a text message from you (proximus) saying ‘until the previously outstanding bills are cleared, services will be terminated after this many (10 or 15) days’ and then in following days the proximus sim card actually stopped working! - i.e. no signals and nothing whatsoever!

Consequently, I thought its ALL DONE! Because you (proximus) stopped providing the services which means that my contract has also ended with it. Therefore, I thought I will pay the outstanding bill at the time of my own choosing. Because I came to Germany for a job search - therefore I was unemployed and since my scholarship ran out with the completion of my degree in Belgium (July), I was very very tight on budget, and ofcourse COVID didn’t help much in this misery.

Plus, as I have mentioned above, in my last few months in Belgium, I relocated, so I did not receive any sort of communication from your side. 
Long story short, to narrow everything down; one I was totally oblivious of the contract being still active - as you stopped/blocked the sim card. Second, I did not receive any sort of communication after I relocated first within Belgium and then in Europe - except for the text messages about outstanding bill. 

Also, just last week I moved back to Pakistan (from Germany) as I did not find any decent job for myself - largely because of covid situation! So now I am back home in Pakistan! and I have no intention of returning in the nearest future. As a proof, I am happy to share my travel itinerary with you. 

Coming back to the point; I am somewhat aware that I committed a mistake by not informing Proximus about my intention of terminating the contract but that was because I could not pay at that time. Being a student (and now officially a jobless lad) I call upon mercy and compassion on this matter. Although, I am still unemployed, I am willing to resolve this matter amicably and pay the due-amount! BUT, only for the services I have consumed- which is until September,2020 (inclusive)! And I request rest of the undue bills to be cancelled! I honestly feel this proposal to be appropriate for both parties! I did not use your services after September (as the sim card was blocked), therefore, I should not be charged for the following months.

UNTIL SEPTEMBER I AM HAPPY TO CLEAR ALL OUTSTANDING DUES. (Although, I did not use your services for the whole month of September.. But nevertheless I am willing to do it..). 
Please help me out here. Since, now I am in Pakistan, I will have to make international payment - so I am happy to go an extra mile to resolve this matter. But please lets try to resolve this issue AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!
Most importantly, please CLOSE MY PROXIMUS NUMBER / CONTRACT PERMEANANTLY - NOW!!! 

With that, I offer my sincerest apologies. This behavior had to do with my ignorance with European system and situational circumstances. I am deeply embarrassed and I extend my sincerest and unconditional apology to everyone at Proximus.
I really hope we can find a solution to this issue.

FYI,

Previous Belgian phone number: ***********
Proximus Reference number: **********
German number: *********** (I am not in Germany, but sim is still in my phone, so maybe you can maybe reach me on this)
Pakistan number: *********(ACTIVE)

Best regards,

Shayan

3 commentaires

Hello @ShayanKhan11 ,

When there is a late payment, we start by limiting your services, this is the SMS you received in September.
Your subscriptions are not canceled because the services are still active but limited.
Then if we still don't have a payment after two month we cancel your number, that's what happened on 05/11. That’s the reason why invoices have continued to be sent to you.

You shoud have cancelled your contrat.

Now, your case is no longer in the hands of Proximus but has been referred to a recovery agency. Given the exceptional circumstances you describe and given that you will no longer be returning to Belgium, I will ask the collection agency to stop the proceedings.

I will keep you informed of the follow-up to your case

Dear @Catherine M , 

Many thanks for your kind response.

Indeed, I should have cancelled my contract before leaving the country. No doubt about that. But this ungodly blunder had to do with my naivety about the contract/service type and the law in general. Lesson is well-learned.. however, by a hard way.  

I can’t thank you enough for intervening in this matter and requesting withdrawal of my case. I am truly humbled. Whatever will be the outcome (by the recovery agency) I will be willing to cooperate.

Once again, my sincerest apologies for inconvenience and heartiest gratitude for kindness. 

Yours,

Shayan Khan

Niveau d'utilisateur 7
Badge +4

Hello @ShayanKhan11 , Catherine explained to recovery agency that you leaving Belgium permantly. They accepted to cancel investigation to recover amounts.

So the bills are still opened and unpaid for Proximus . Your account is flagged as bad payer, but impossible to get money back.

Commenter