Question

Problem with port forwarding (like several other people)

Hello and good morning,

I am unfortunately in the same position as several other users concerning the opening on the port 443 to expose an internal company webserver to the internet.

I have tried for several days and contacted telephonic support multiple time. 

This is what i have done:

1. make sure that in MyProximus the settings are in Advanced Mode. (as stated here https://www.proximus.be/support/en/id_sfaqr_ports_mapping/personal/support/internet/internet-at-home/advanced-settings/port-forwarding-on-your-b-box-or-internet-box.html)
  2. disconnected the box several times for long periods as advised.
  3. added the ports in Access Control - Port Mapping:
  4. I have also made sure that the internal host is in the list of hosts with static ip.

5. I have rebooted several times the box

6. Made sure that the 443 port of the Remote access in on the OFF position

7. checked with many tools, including nmap and https://canyouseeme.org/ 

8. made sure there are no internal firewalls

but the ports remain closed. 

I supposed it was a problem of the Box HW firewall, as several other users have reported, and someone from support sent me a box with new hardware. It is the BBox 3v+ 

Hardware version changed from 2.1 to 3.2 but still all the problems noted above persist.

I am familiar with networking configurations and i believe i have followed and checked all the informations on the forums. I am also convinced that the opening is possible, since Proximus confirms that and other users could make it work:  https://userbase.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63255

I would like if possible to be put in contact with a Proximus network admin or technician to get some help. My company really needs to have this internal server put online for our customers. 

Please let me know,

Kind regards,

Mike

5 commentaires

Hello, if this is really blocking you or your business, it’s always possible in the meantime to establish a PPPoE session from the server itself (and bypass completely the bbox firewall/NAT) but then realize the server is fully exposed to the Internet and its security relies only on its own firewall…

Another solution is to use a commercial router to establish the PPPoE connection (and connect the server behind it)

This will of course only work if the problem comes from the bbox, not from Proximus infrastructure blocking the port.

Niveau d'utilisateur 1

I find it odd to put “0” as the External port end couldnt you put the same port here? And did you try from outside the network (4G) ? (shouldnt matter tho if external websites don’t see it whoops).

And I suppose you checked in local to connect on the website to ensure there is no internal fw.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the PPPoE session, I would really go for the clean and established solution of port forwarding and avoid workarounds. I see many other clients over several forums having troubles with port forwarding but some of them say it is resolved after intervention and Proximus itself say that it is a service they offer. My current hypothesis is that there is some security firmware block that it has to be removed from Admin. 

For the “0” as the External port, in my router that field is not editable and defaults to 0 by itself. there is no way of changing it. I tried from outside in several ways and ports remain blocked. The local connection is ofc perfect and everyone can reach and work on the internal Apache instance. 

It is frustrating because it is a relatively straightforward configuration and it should be really be just a matter of forwarding the ports on the routes. After 2 weeks, all the change of settings i can think of and a new BBox 3V+ it still doesn’t work. 

Proximus told me that a technician will call me… but so far nothing.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion or stroke of genius you might have

Niveau d'utilisateur 1

The last thing I could think of would be that you changed to advanced mode on the wrong Proximus account, but that’s it for me 😆

As you say, this is normally pretty straightforward, so I’m afraid there is not much more you can do but wait for a smart moderator of this forum to look at your case…

Commenter